Sunday, 08 January 2012

Mazibuyel' emasisweni!... ...back to the roots!

I remember the tough times I had in Transkei,
I remember the richness in brotherhood I got,
I remember the times spent in mountains and valleys.
My mind is populated with fond memories,
My heart is filled with warmth,
My spirit rejoices for overcoming
I look back and smile,
Picture the journey I travelled,
Laugh at those who wished horror,
I'm rooted because of you.
Umuzi mkhulu is the town, I visited once in a while
Umfula mhle is the village, I learnt stick-fighting and got my pride
Esicelweni my village is called, that is where my root is
Mazibuyel' emasisweni!!
I remember the 4 hour periods the bus used to pass,
The joy I had seeing a vehicle coming towards our bus-stop,
The pride I displayed after accounting our herd.
Every day was an adventure, fighting for no reason
Learning the ways and means of survival in a village was a constant battle
Ever milestone achieved was a step closer to manhood
Mazibuyel' emasisweni!
I remember the privilege of wearing shoes,
The joy of white bread with peanut butter,
The times we spent around the fire laughing
I remember gestures we did when entering the house,
The smiles we shared when seeing girls,
The times we spent heading to school felt like hours
I remember the one church we all went to,
The journey we took going there,
The spirit of community we had.
Masibuyeleni emasisweni!!
I still hear the sound of the whip,
The cry of a boy in training to be a young man,
The times I spent learning from my cousin.
Ingane ikhuliswa yisizwe, I can testify to that.
Our culture is rich in Ubuntu, respect, ways of life
Our customs define who we really are,
My experiences in uMzimkhulu are a treasure
My existence is a blessing, a treasure continuously explored.
Mazibuyel' emasisweni!!
Rittin by Khaya Sol Gebashe

--
Influence is based on what you focus on in life.

No comments: